Inception and Growth
A leading fifty-four year old educational institution of Gujarat, B.K.M. Science College was established by Shree Nootan Kelavani Mandal, Valsad to provide higher education in Science stream. Situated beside the beautiful and captivating sea-beach of Tithal, the institute fosters a very peaceful and congenial atmosphere for the purpose of educational development and growth of students. Shree N.K.M. has first established Shree N.K.M. Science and Arts College in 1957. Then in 1964 the respective Arts and Science College was bifurcated as Arts college and Shri B. K. M. Science College.
In memory of the benevolent support extended by the late Chairman of Atul Pvt. Ltd., Shri Ballubhai Krishnalal Majmudar, the Science College has been given the name of "Ballubhai Krishnalal Majmudar Science College”. Then College has become a legendary institution in Graduate and Post Graduate education in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology subjects and research in Chemistry and Botany. It is affiliated to Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat.
Award of the best Science College
It is indeed a matter of pride for the College that in 1982-83, the Gujarat Government had declared the Institute as the best science College in the South Gujarat region and awarded Rs. 50,000/- as cash prize due to high quality of teachers, excellent infrastructural facilities and congenial atmosphere conducive to very efficient teaching learning process.
In 2010-011 the State Government and Higher Educational Commissioner has rewarded two state level awards for the "Soil Health Card" and "Scope" test for the English language taken by the Cambridge University, respectively. Our college obtained 840/1000 marks in an Academic and Administrative Audit conducted by the Gujarat Government and stood first in the South Gujarat Science Colleges by securing ‘A’ grade.
NAAC Accredited College
The College has voluntarily made the Self Assessement report and sent it to the NAAC Institution of the U.G.C. under the internal self- evaluation merit checking programme of Colleges. lt is a proud moment for us that the college is the first College of V.N.S.G. University to conduct such an accreditation. The College has achieved B grade i.e. 70 - 75 % from NAAC.
The College is managed by Shri Nootan Kelvani Mandal which has been established by the former Indian Prime Minister late Shri Moraraji Desai, a glorious son of Valsad and an ideal honourable leader, who had till his last breath served as the President of the College. The successor to Late Shri Moraraji Desai was a renowned industrialist Sheth Shri Siddtharthbhai of Atul products Ltd. After the sad demise of Shri Siddtharthbhai, Shri Kantibhai Ranchhodaji Desai, a well known cricketer and educationalist of Valsad, is at present obliging the President's post.
The other important posts are held by eminent personalities like Shri Arjunbhai Desai - the Vice President Shri Pradyuman K Shah - the Honorary Secretary. Besides, all these people who are giving their services to the institution, some reputed high dignitaries are rendering their benevolent services in the managing committee too. Above all Shree Nootan Kelavani Mandal is the role Model of the Government of Gujarat.
The classrooms are well ventilated, very airy and there is ample amount of light.
Laboratories consist of latest technologically savvy instruments. The library and reading rooms are well equipped and totally computerized.
The Botonical garden and Herbarium / Museum house enrich the environment of the Institution.
The College also has separate research laboratories of high quality and a Computer Center with Internet facilities. A separate girl's hostel is also available.
Above all there is also a Post Graduate Bhavan, an Auditorium, a Sanskar Kendra, Hostel facility near the College, R.O. Plant for pure water, electricity generator, Sahakar Bhandar, Canteen and a wide play ground for sports activities.
Academic Achievement (of last 5 years)
Completion of minor and major research project.
Our College was given award for highest number of students appearing for SCOPE examination, an English language course affiliated to Cambridge University.
Our College secured ‘A’ grade in AAA (Academic and Administrative Audit) conducted by Gujarat Government and scored 840/1000 marks.
The College organized the following academic programs, seminars and workshops.
• UGC sponsored state level seminar on “Conservation of Plant Biodiversity and Environment”
• Ecology Board Gujarat sponsored state level Seminar on “Medicinal Plants: Traditional Knowledge survey”
• UGC aided faculty Development program.
• UGC aided Administrative Staff Development state level seminar.
• Self funded state level seminar on “Recent Trends and Challenges in dyestuff industries”
• Workshop on ‘Syllabus framing for Botany’
• Workshop on Syllabus framing for ‘Vocational Certificate Course in Gardening and Nursery Management’
• Faculty members presented 71 papers at different seminars and conferences.
03 Students did M. Phil and 11 research scholars were awarded Ph.D degree under the able guidance of our faculty members.
University Gold medals:
Books with ISBN no.
Publications of Research papers in
For Student’s Academic development
• Inclusion of students in seminars organized at our College
• Motivation to Students’ participation in seminars at various Institutions
• Industrial and Academic tours
• Felicitation to Gold medalists
• Organized University level science fair
• Remedial coaching class for slow learners
• Establishment of e-learning center
• Department wise, overall comparison with the University results with other neighboring colleges.
• We display results department wise making its comparison with the university result and other neighboring colleges.
Infrastructural Facility Creation in last 5 years
Creation of up-to-date Botanical Garden, Herbarium house and research lab.
E-learning self study center.
Construction of an Administrative office.
Created facility of a Seminar hall.
UGC granted girls hostel is constructed.
New four spacious classrooms are built.
• CCTV camera.
• Central mike system.
• Classroom interactive system.
• LCD projector in labs & classrooms.
Other available facilities.
• Well furnished class & laboratories.
• A huge Playground.
• An Auditorium.
• Water hut with RO system.
• Enriched library.
• Boys hostel.
• Parking Stand.
• Green & eco friendly campus.
• Over head project.
• Computer lab.
• Internet facility for faculty and students.
• Girls room.
• Store room.
• NCC office.
• NSS office.
• Sports office.
• Strong room.
• Department wise office including main administrative office.